The Staff Dentist is a General Dentistry Dentist (DDS or DMD) with an active, current license issued by the State of Idaho and without disciplinary action. She/he works under the clinical supervision of the Dental Chief of Staff, and the administrative supervision of the Chief Executive Officer and/or Chief Medical Officer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
● Provides direct patient care as outlined in the KCH employment agreement including diagnoses, treatment and/or proper referral while maintaining expected medical/dental standards.
● Maintain active and current licensure, and participate in continuing educational activities sufficient to maintain required breadth of knowledge regarding current standard of practice for General Dentistry and specifically for the populations served by Kaniksu Community Health.
● A comprehensive knowledge of basic principles of health, illness, and wellness including current best practice in effective delivery of preventive and primary health care in outpatient settings and health education to the target populations.
● Provision of primary dental care diagnostic, treatment, referral and preventive services and information that is professionally and culturally competent, and centered on the whole person within the context of their life circumstances.
● Prescribes and carries out, or directs others in carrying out, appropriate treatment, or refers individuals for specialty consultation or treatment in conformance with approved clinical protocols and guidelines.
● Knowledge of common medications used with the understanding of indications for, administration of, action of and adverse effects of medications. A working knowledge of printed and electronic resources available for information regarding illness and medications.
● Educates individuals in the nature of medical health related conditions and in the general promotion of primary health care related disease prevention.
● Designs and implements effective individualized health care plans and strategies to engage KHS patients in sustained attention to their own and families’ improved health and well-being.
● Records patient-provider transactions as they occur in the patient’s medical record so that the medical record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided. Including tracking, patient follow-up, education, counseling.
● The Staff Dentist must be cognizant of the prevalent stressors and their impact on KCH's patient populations, professional providers and other community partners.